Inspired by Ruth Box , Big Youth Group Ambassador – Verified by Big Youth Group.
Working from home can be a challenge but as a young person trying to move out and cut costs for saving, it has become an efficient way to optimise time and money without any major sacrifices. For many people who imagine home working, they envisage the opportunity to be lazy but if you’re a conscientious person, you’ll know that this just isn’t the case.
Your constant worry that you’re not doing enough actually becomes your reason for doing too much. At the end of the day, remote working is dependent on a trusting relationship between employer and employee which works both ways.
It’s a quick and easy way to become isolated from the world so just as your employer relies on you to work hard and fulfil your hours, you can hold your team responsible for regular communication about team progress, goals and support. It’s not for everyone but offers some great opportunities for the right person.
For now we’ll leave you with some top tips and advice for the home working life:
1. Pomodoro’s will become your best friend and time management technique to stay focused and help segment your work.
2. Don’t underestimate how many house maintenance jobs will now become yours because you’re at home all the time (if you live with someone- especially with parents!).
3. Avoid watching TV on your lunch break. By the evening you feel very bored of being at home and the novelty of lunch time luxuries wears off. The more disciplined you are about your home working environment and schedule, the more you appreciate down time.
4. Because you are now at home all day, you will become the designated parcel receiver for the whole street.
5. Don’t be afraid to reach out for support. Join Facebook and Linked in groups related to your job to talk things over and share ideas (admittedly this is especially for those who work in a start-up and are always trying new things but it’s great to network and develop skills this way).
6. Now is your time to invest in you. Yes, a lot of roles provide this opportunity but homeworking presents lots of challenges which you can use self-development to overcome. Improve your focus, push your discipline and learn new skills.
7. Stay active! Being at home 24/7 can tempt you to become a complete recluse. Resist the urge to move from the office to the sofa in one fell swoop and get out for a walk, take a drive out for lunch or look out for local networking events.
8. Don’t be hard on yourself. If you struggle to adjust at first, rather than beat yourself up and feel guilty, try new routines and time management techniques. You may prefer mornings or evenings for a creative flow. Learn what works best for you and improve every day.
I love this, as a freelance writer I can relate to so many of these! And juggling children too adds to the pressure but when things go well, it can be so rewarding.
Comments are closed.
Whether you want to grow your skills, get picked up by an employer who needs your specific knowledge, earn more qualifications for your CV, or some combination of the three, the My Need to Live community is here to support you.Join the platform
The My Need to Live Support Directory is a resource created by us to help 16 – 24 year olds find the help, support, organisation or practitioner you need to help them with their wellbeing when they need it.Support directory
Losing one’s job is painful, it can be one of the most destructive events happening in ones life. I should know I have been through a few of them. Most recently I was laid off March 2nd, 2023. An unexpected shock as the organization I worked for gave no indication there would be any form […]
The pain of being laid off is affecting thousands, but mostly in big tech. It saddens me to say I was just laid off and although I did not work or one of the major big tech companies like Twitter, Alphabet and others we were still apart of financial tech. Here is a recent article […]
Happy New Year 2023! What the new year means to me, to you, to the world. It means something different for everyone. Some create resolutions for the new year to be new person, new goals. I am often reminded of when I would attend my local gym, a 24-hour fitness which by the way is […]