I’m sure we all know that smoothies are a great source of nutrition and so versatile, but creating smoothies on a budget isn’t always easy. They make perfect on-the-go breakfasts, convenient snacks and can be the ideal sweet craving quencher! However, we’re also well aware of how pricey they can be to make, but before you’re tempted to grab a McDonalds breakfast for half the price, here are some budget-friendly smoothie options and top tips.
Add these smoothies to your meal plan along with these great tips on how to eat healthy cheaply!
Let’s start with the basics before we get into some recipes for smoothies on a budget!
· Use any green veg leftovers you may have in the cupboards or fridge
· Spinach and kale seem to be the favourites, but cucumber, broccoli and avocado all work too
· Use frozen veg, this way you don’t get any wastage and it’s usually cheaper to purchase frozen bags
· Bananas are always a staple as it makes the drink sweet, gives it the smoothie consistency and doesn’t break the bank
· Whilst berries are really tasty in a smoothie, try and stick to the fruits that are ‘in season’ and therefore cheapest – you can also bulk buy when they’re cheap and freeze for a later date
· Try something different like peaches, pineapple or mango as an alternative to berries
· Buying frozen mixed fruit bags are also a great alternative because you only need a handful and the bags last ages.
· There are plenty of options here, obviously water is the cheapest choice but anything from the following that you may have at home can really help switch up the flavour!
o Vanilla or Greek yoghurt
o Fruit juice (apple, orange, etc)
o Milk or cream
o Cottage cheese
o Almond or coconut milk
Now we have the ingredients understood, here are some recipes and formulas guaranteed to give you those tasty, healthy smoothies on a budget!
The formula for this recipe is 1:1:2.
1. Fill one half of the blender with smoothie-friendly veg
2. Fill the other half with fruit leaving a 1-inch gap at the top
3. Add your chosen liquid to the gap at the top and blend
This recipe works on a 1:1 formula.
1. Fill the first half of the blender with banana
2. Fill the second half with berries or alternative fruit options
3. Add a little covering of liquid and blend
Oats Breakfast Smoothie
For a different, more breakfast-like smoothie, try this banana and peanut butter oats combination.
1. Add a handful of oats to the blender and blend until finely ground
2. Add banana, a tablespoon of peanut butter, half a tablespoon of maple syrup, a few splashes of milk (preferably almond milk, a dash of cinnamon and pure vanilla extract and blend
The smoothie cube hack is a brilliant way of reducing cost and wastage as well as prep time!
1. Whizz up your fruit, whether its frozen, berries, mangos, or anything you managed to pick up cheaply
2. Pour the blended mixture into an ice cube tray and freeze
3. You know have your ready-to-add fruit already prepared!
If you’re a fan of the budget smoothie ideas, and you’re aged 16-24, sign up to our exclusive platform here for more nutrition and wellness tips!
Now, if only we had a washing-up hack! Enjoy your blended good-ness.
Whether you want to grow your skills, get picked up by an employer who needs your specific knowledge, earn more qualifications for your CV, or some combination of the three, the My Need to Live community is here to support you.Join the platform
The My Need to Live Support Directory is a resource created by us to help 16 – 24 year olds find the help, support, organisation or practitioner you need to help them with their wellbeing when they need it.Support directory
Losing one’s job is painful, it can be one of the most destructive events happening in ones life. I should know I have been through a few of them. Most recently I was laid off March 2nd, 2023. An unexpected shock as the organization I worked for gave no indication there would be any form […]
The pain of being laid off is affecting thousands, but mostly in big tech. It saddens me to say I was just laid off and although I did not work or one of the major big tech companies like Twitter, Alphabet and others we were still apart of financial tech. Here is a recent article […]
Happy New Year 2023! What the new year means to me, to you, to the world. It means something different for everyone. Some create resolutions for the new year to be new person, new goals. I am often reminded of when I would attend my local gym, a 24-hour fitness which by the way is […]